The Evangelical Congregational Church traces its origins to Jacob Albright and the missionary work of his dedicated horse-backed “circuit riders.” These German Methodists established small Bible class congregations among the German Speaking people of eastern Pennsylvania. The first Evangelical congregation on Mohn’s Hill met in an 1838, stone schoolhouse located on the present site of our church. Little is known about the size of the congregation or about the frequency of meetings, however, by 1855, the church trustees had purchased the property and replaced the original building with a larger structure.
Mohn’s Memorial Evangelical Congregational Church is named in memory of William and Mary Mohn, the parents of Jeremiah Mohn who purchased the property in 1895 and returned it to the local congregation after a dispute stemming from a denominational split. The structure located on the premises at that time (seen in the picture to the right) had been erected in 1872 and was much smaller than the white building many consider to be the original Mohn’s Hill Church. What has become known as the “old sanctuary” is actually a 1927-1928 extensive renovation and enlargement of the previous structure. During the renovation, the congregation met for services at the Gouglersville Grange Hall. By 1953, the congregation had grown sufficiently to permit the support of a missionary family stationed in Liberia, West Africa. A parsonage soon followed in 1965 to furnish a residence for the family of Rev. David Heffner, our first full-time, locally supported pastor. Other notable preachers who have served Mohn’s Hill include Rev. Ken Weaver, who later became a full-time E.C. evangelist: Rev. Jim Shields, who became the first director of Twin Pines Camp; and Rev. Barry Rebert, who has ministered at Mohn’s Hill longer than any pastor in our history.
Our deep, spiritual heritage has always placed an emphasis on evangelism and Biblical teaching. To that end, ground was broken in 1964 for construction of an educational addition adjoining the existing church and in 1978 for a major foundational structure to accommodate the church offices, a kitchen and an ever increasing Sunday school enrollment. Upon that foundation was erected a new sanctuary (brick building shown in the picture above) in 1996 which seats 325 worshipers.
Lord willing, what began as a tiny group of believers in a borrowed schoolhouse, will continue to flourish and expand God’s Kingdom until the day of Christ’s return.
To God be the glory!